Opmeer and Spanbroek obtained city rights together as one city in 1414. In the Middle Ages the area around Opmeer was divided up in three fiefdoms that were ruled by the sovereign. On 1 April 1980 Queen Juliana gave the municipality of Opmeer the right to use its own coat of arms. West of Opmeer is a beautiful polder named “De Lage Hoek”, also known because of the similarly titled book by local author J. Visser-Roosendaal. The “Kaagmolen” windmill is located close to Opmeer and was built in 1654. The main event of the year is the agricultural exposition, well-known nationwide for its emphasis on equestrian sports.