Obdam is originally a polder filled with many lakes, protected by the Obdammer Dike. Later on most of the lakes were drained except for the Weel, which currently forms a recreational nature reserve. Currently new construction in and around the village offers a home for many new people to the area, but originally Obdam used to be an agricultural village and was known for housing many well-off farmers. It has its own train station, the only one in the municipality of Koggeland. The large Sint-Victor church, designed by Adrianus Bleys in 1892, was awarded the title of “most beautiful church” of North-Holland. In this church the well-known Reverend Vlaar used to preach his popular sermons. Other monuments include the windmill from 1670 at the Braken, just outside the village, and the former town hall with its impressive architecture.